OLIVIA RITCHIE

Essay Blog

Click here to access my essay blog.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

I stare

Author's note: This is a poem regarding theend of the year.

I stare
The hall seeming to go on forever
Emptiness
Children's voices, gone
Teacher's books, packed away

I stare
Clocks ticking
Scenes of classrooms
Libraries
Gym classes
Flash through my mind
No one present to fill the scenes

I stare
I'm leaving these halls
No longer will I read those books
No longer will I open this locker
No longer will I sing in this choir room

I stare
I wonder
I wish
There was a little more time

5 comments:

  1. The repetitive pattern is so cool! I love the last part, because who doesn't wish there was more time for something in their lives? Everybody can relate to it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Liv,
    Awesome poem, and awesome meaning! I love how you know exactly what everyone is feeling right now as summer approaches and school slowly creeps away! Sometimes your lines are a little choppy because the word length varies, but other than that, NICE JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Liv :) I think it's a very good topic to write about for the end of the school year! I like the repetititve patterns you used, just like Karen said. Awesome poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loveee this! :) and I think this is what all of us are thinking right now. Great job Olivia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am filled with a deep melancholy at the end of each year as I look out at the faces of the students I have come to depend on seeing each day, that I have grown close to teaching, and want to teach so much more. This time of year fils me with a sense of loss. While I know everyone needs to move on, and I am so happy everyone is ready, and I know everyone will do well at whatever they turn their hands to, I am still left saying goodbye, which is just part of my job; it's the constant saying goodbye to people I sincerely enjoy seeing every day, and know that I can't be selfish and enjoy that more than my due. This poem brings those feelings back to be, and remind me how difficult the end of the year will be when I have to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete