OLIVIA RITCHIE

Essay Blog

Click here to access my essay blog.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Short Story Final: North

Author's note: This story doesn't exactly reflect real events but there's a lot of emotion in it that I exaggerated. My fears are beneath the events of this story.
In an instant I woke, I had to keep going, keep driving. Once again I turned the key; I drove fast down the winding road. It was lined with huge, old trees I had seen so many times before. On impulse I was going to the only place I knew could feel like home. So many times before I had stayed in these woods and swam in this water. It had an effect on me, somehow, like magic, I could come here and forget the fast pace of life and the struggles that lingered so heavily on my heart. The sudden peace ringing in the air, the abrasion of my hands on the wheel, consumed me and I wept. The pines had once waved my worries away with their branches; the water once washed away the grief and pain.

I pulled into a gravel driveway and eventually came to a lodge. The engine shut off, I got out of the car and walked slowly to the door. Tears reappeared on my face, I paused, my shaking hand suddenly steady on the doorknob. Thinking rationally for a moment, my hand dipped into my back pocket and pulled out a large wad of cash I’d stolen from the counter at home. I clung to at least 200 dollars. Regret crept quietly into my conscience. What was I thinking? Looking for some relief, I placed the money back into my pocket. My hand pressed hard on the door and entered into a foyer. Tourist brochures hung on the wall and a dusty old moose head hung next to them. Suddenly I could remember walking through those very same doors every summer as a little girl. All the smells and people and boats and fish had stayed the same, it was me that had changed. I stood quiet and still, staring into the face of the moose. Memories continued to flash through my head, memories of my childhood, memories of the cabin, but most prevalent were memories of my father. It had only been 5 years since I’d been here last but it felt like a lifetime. Things had changed so much since then. At that time, this place could’ve made it all disappear; the struggles, the hurt, the fears.

The reality was I’d grown, grown so far from this place. However, I had no wish to escape this place, to leave; I was content to remain in that enchanting spot until it was my time to depart. As I stood, calmer than I’d been for hours, everything began to spin. I’d been informed hours before that my father was dead, in a search for comfort I ended up here. Tears flooded over my eyelashes, down my cheeks and onto the floor. Waves of sobs hit me with jolts; I sat shakily on the ground still staring at the moose. My arms wrapped tightly around my knees. I shut my eyes, forcing tears out the corners of my eyes, swallowing the next jolt of sobs. In seconds I had lost the most important man in my life. It felt almost as if someone was tearing away all the good I knew in life, piece by piece. My heart ached, it ached for memories, it ached for death, it ached for loss.

My father hadn’t been around much in the last few years but whenever he was, he somehow made everything okay again, he brought peace. Naturally this feeling escaped as soon as he did. I lived in an unstable home, and the only hope I knew lye within my father. He reminded me that I had a future; that something brighter lay beyond the front door. Maybe he recognized the hardship I endured at home, maybe he saw potential in me, or maybe he saw a reflection of himself within me. If I knew love, it came from my father and now that was all I could salvage from the dust.

My hands quivered gently in my lap. My heart beat loudly within my chest. I shut my eyes and listened; laughter carried from the bar, an old rock song played softly on the jukebox. The sun, granting rays of a luminous glow, the subtle shadows dancing across the wooden walls, the sounds, the quiet scenery, the worn moose—all had distracted me. The warm air of the lodge caressed my delicate body. The world had suddenly slowed. The immense grief lay heavy on my heart and settled in my mind. With my eyes still shut I slowly pulled a handgun from the depths of my pocket. My back straightened slightly opening my lungs to the northern air. I inhaled slowly, filling the space of my chest one last time and then I did it.

7 comments:

  1. Liv, this was so good! You had amazing word choice that really showed the emotions, and it flowed very well. I didn't expect the ending, it was great. I did notice, though, that in some parts the wording didn't really make sense. Otherwise, i thought it was amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you did a really good job on your essay. You seemed to have just like Alex said good flow with your words especially. I thought maybe you could add a little more diction and there were only a couple parts where I had to reread it because of a silly grammer mistake but otherwise I thought you wrote a fantastic story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was so good. i loved reading every second of it! it calmed me in a weird way, even when you pulled the trigger i felt so calm and happy...haha. but i loved your diction and imagery, the way you described everything (like the dancing shadows) was so cool..loved it liv :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your diction and imagery was great! I would have to agree with tyler and alex. Your sentences were wordy, but overall awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a great story. I think you did a good job of explaining things with great diction. Your story was very interesting, and I really like the ending. This was very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liv! I remember editing your story in class and it seriously came soo far since then! Your diction throughout the entire story was amazing and really helped to set the scene. I know you weren't exactly sure how to end it when we were editing, but it wrapped things up perfectly. Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed how your story actually went somewhere. I appreciate a story that carries through to a conclusion. Here, that happens. I also think you did a good job of creating an environment that causes the reader to feel like the person in the story. The details made me try to piece together what was going on, like the hand full of bills, and then when things ended, I found myself almost happy for the character in a weird way. Well done.

    ReplyDelete