OLIVIA RITCHIE

Essay Blog

Click here to access my essay blog.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Good Earth: Response 2

Through my experience with reading this novel, The Good Earth, I have come upon situations and people that strike me as very different. One of these people is Wang Lung's uncle. He is constantly asking others for money and trying to get everything given to him. What really makes me angry is the fact that Wang Lung continues to give in every time he is asked. He, of course, realizes, like many other people do, his uncle is extremely lazy and not compelled, by any means, to provide for himself on his own. Wang Lung works long hard days out in hi fields growing food both to sell and to eat. After all those times he asked for money, the uncle comes once again but this time with men who seek to purchase Wang Lung's land--land he put his whole self into, the place he found pride and contentment, his escape from a tragic world. This was all going to be taken away from him. Although, to Wang Lung, it was more important that his family got food. For they had been starving for days.

Wang Lung ended up selling his furniture for a small price; it had been more money than he had held in a long time. I think there is something wrong with this. The House of Hwang possessed more money than any other villager had really ever seen before. Why then don't they even think to help just a little? Wang Lung's family was forced to go to the south in search of food to survive when this fruitful house is plentiful with food.

As I was reading I found that it is noticed more and more how strong and wise O'lan is. For, not once did she break down, not knowing what to do. She kept her head high. Even when she was forced to beg, she did it with pride and perseverance--not afraid of what tomorrow might bring. I find a role model in these type of women. When I compare myself to the heroes I find that I am weak and the only way to become such a woman as that, is to take risks and go on, even when life is tough.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Liv. :) I really liked your response, and how you used a variety of vocabulary. Maybe you could have talked more about what it was like for Wang Lung and his family in the south, and how they struggled. Overall, I think this was well written and I enjoyed reading your opinions on the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this was a really good response, you used a wide vocabulary range and used text evidence to back up your ideas. Maybe you could have talked more about how they stuggled in the south like Alex said, but other than that it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This response is awesome. I hope more people in class read it, and I hope you get to read other's to see what I mean. there should be a natural competition breaking out in class, and you simply blow away the rest right now. The voice, the syntax, the text evidence, the honest reaction -- I'm not sure I could have asked for more. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with what everyone said, this is a teriffic response. I couldn't find anything to make this better! Your writing has gotten so good since last year. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great response. Though your topics kind of jump from one to another with not much relevance to eachother, your voice really stands out, in addition to your personal opinion. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the quote that you have as your title, the colors of your blog are really nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. THe sentance structure and opinions in this paper were awesome, making it a very strong response. I agree -- next time try to talk a little more about the city in the south. I also forgot to talk about that part enough, though, so I don't blame you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great response, alot of good vocab and sentence structure

    ReplyDelete