OLIVIA RITCHIE

Essay Blog

Click here to access my essay blog.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Trickling World by Olivia Ritchie





Bubbling, trickling.


These sounds come alive,


silently but echoing to my ear.


Peace you feel at times,


so hard to understand.


For God made this natural wonder,


we learn to appreciate and treasure


each moment we spend in aw observing.


Busy city racing by,


creating a picture very different.


Longing to stay right here


for eternity,


we can't.


People must be among people.


But we continue to come back


to this place where we found happiness


for just a second.


Counting on the water to bring us hope


that somewhere a brighter tomorrow lives


with open arms.


All of the tragedy surrounding the world


may someday resolve,


though we wait for that time to come.


We will always come back to this place


see ourselves again


as innocent.


No one will hurt us here


everything and everyone is calm.


The waves of fear and pain


cannot hit us in this private get away.


This is where the world may someday


find itself again.

10 comments:

  1. I love "people mus tbe among people". It divides the poem between the river to the metaphor. Don't forget to label the poem as yours, and if you feel like it, add a little intro, or ending bit about where this came from. Just beautiful. I would look to revisiting unnecessary words, if possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I really like the las sentence. You say "each moment we spend in aw observing." i was wondering what the aw is supposed to mean. Great poem:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you combine the concept of a city and a river - two opposites - together. This is a great poem, and I can't think of anything to suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You really made me think on this one. I had to keep reading it over and over again... but because I wanted to. It made me think about everything in life. It's a perfect poem! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really great poem Olivia! I love it! I made me think what the poem means. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you place the reader in each scene between the city and a peaceful river, I can definitely see the two opposites in each. The way you refer back to people trying to become innocent again is great. Amazing poem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Liv!!! This is a really good poem! I love how you refer to a city and a river, and how they are opposites. I don't think that there is anything that you can do to improve this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW LIVE!! that was amazing......I love how you go about comapring opposites :D There is nothing I would do to improve your poem!! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your analogy of the river to life, in addition to how you say the river is where the earth will find itself again. That conclusion is simply amazing. Just so you know, awe is spelled with an e.:) Besides this minor error, I think this is one of the very best poems I've read in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you spaced the poem out. It made it seem like the words wee trickling like the water. Did Mr. J say anything to you guys about making a poem into a picture, or applying it to a picture backround? This poem would be really neat like that.

    ReplyDelete