OLIVIA RITCHIE

Essay Blog

Click here to access my essay blog.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Princess in a Castle

As it glitters in the humidity. I walk, carefully but sure of myself. I've found a confidence I had never experienced before. My back is forced straight, I step forward. A chill runs up my spine. I'm not sure why but I feel stronger each step. As though I could run straight through a wall. My dress drags behind me making it hard to walk but I go on. The winding stairs seem to go on forever. Not knowing when I might see a sign of human flesh again in this grey, dreary hallway. I descend carefully, conscious of the fact I could fall at any moment. Careful but silent. I hear the wind through the slender diamond windows on either side of me. The smell of nature outside that I have never really seen before. I finally come to the balcony and look over the ledge, I see the kingdom-- the place I've always felt a sense of belonging. People wave and cheer. Yelling my name. It feels like I am as high as heaven itself. I sparkle with silk. Every last inch of my fragile body covered with this glamorous fabric. No worries upon this pedestal. For this is my home. And I will live up to my potential and make all these gracious and trusting people proud. I am the princess and this is my castle. I strive to make my piece of this world a better place.

3 comments:

  1. This is an excellent piece of writing. I feel as if the princess is real--that she exists. I like how you wrote it as if you were the princess. Maybe next time you could try using a semi colon, or a different syntactic device. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, again this is excellent. The tower in the princess myth represents the journey of the young woman from a child to an independent person. In the old stories, the priincess has to wait for a prince charming to rescue her from her imprisoned state. Now, women don't need to rely upon another person, but rather can see themselves as individuals. How ironic that you wrote this while we read The Good Earth. How cool is it that at your age, when you are in the tower, a solid part of your family, that you know eventually you will break out at the top, to proudly live, independently, the life you were meant to live, waving with joy. I think it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excelent entry. It's so descriptive you can imagine yourself there. The last sentence is the perfect way to end the entry because it makes you believe that you are the princess and you will make a change. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete