OLIVIA RITCHIE

Essay Blog

Click here to access my essay blog.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Good Earth

After reading the first chapter of The Good Earth I can't quite grasp the huge difference that is present between modern day and historical China. Some of the happenings brought to my attention were almost too hard to handle. One humbling event that was apparent to me was when Wang Lung took O'lan to their 'marriage ceremony'; there was no sense of excitement and it seemed obvious that neither of them seemed happy or even comfortable with being there. To even get married at present time it is critical that you love the other person; I can't even fathom the fact that marriage, in that time and place, was almost never because of a strong, loving connection between two people, but only so that one day children might inherit the land that was owned by their father. A large symbol of this unloving situation was at the very end of the chapter when Wang Lung forces the woman to "become one with him". This occurrence was shocking. Now we would consider such a happening abuse. I see no normalcy when I think of this situation therefore I believe it falls under the category of tragedy. Although the strong religion the people of China have, the season, and the joyful nature leads me to believe maybe there is hope. "Now it was as if Heaven had chosen this day to wish him well. Earth would bear fruit."



In America it is stressed that every man is treated equally but in China it is found that the rich are the rich and the poor are the poor and it seems as though it is meant to stay that way. Money is a great issue for Wang Lung. The gate keeper at the House of Hwang looks at his food and immediately says it is equivalent to what is fed to the dogs. I find this an extremely cruel thing to say, yet Wang Lung takes it in as if it has been said to him everyday of his life. Being in such a large home with such exquisite art and clothing all around Wang Lung feels insecure and is given no respect--just as women are given no respect in that time. I feel this story will transform into a life lesson about respect and love between people. For even in the darkest places people have found love and it has changed them wholly as a person.

2 comments:

  1. I thought your response was very strong, I like how you really analyzed the marriage. Maybe next time include reasoning or why the quote fits in, otherwise I thought it was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this is an excellent response. Powerful in the construction, and intellectual in content. I hope other see your response and realize what can be done. On a side note, I love how you put a picture of Brett Favre as your link to the poem about an athelete dying young. That is so appropriate! Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete