OLIVIA RITCHIE

Essay Blog

Click here to access my essay blog.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Murder Revenge

Through reading this book many historical issues were revealed to me, one of them being women's right. In the short story, A Jury of Her Peers, women are treated with no respect and are left alone day after day. I can easily believe Mrs. Wright murdered her husband out of anger, not only did he possibly strangle her bird--her only friend and joy in the world-- but he forced her to stay in that old, creepy house alone everyday. Insanity got the better of this poor woman and I question whether she committed this terrible act of murder only to get the chance to see people once again. Although I can't be sure seeing and talking to people would have even been able to help her at that point. Several times Mrs. Hale referred to how disappointed she was that she didn't even have the heart to visit the poor woman once. There's no way to know if that would have helped Minnie Foster or not. She had gotten to such an extreme state of insanity that she killed her husband and practically admitted that she committed this crime. Since the poor woman was in such a critical state I think Mrs. Peters and Mrs. Hale had a deep sympathy for the woman. The way they hid the evidence they had found from the men brought me to the conclusion they cared for Mrs. Wright and only wanted to protect her from struggling through the remainder of her days in a jail cell with many other insane women. Though at this time women were treated badly and with no respect. I'm sure that no one would care if Mrs. Wright were to go to jail, but I think that when Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Peters found all those clues it was symbolizing the hidden strength of women and the power they would soon have. Minnie Foster displayed with her actions that women do have the power to rise above men. Since her husband took away her source of happiness she decided to get him back and show him how much he hurt her. The bird was her only source of light and freedom and her only way to become content once again was to put her husband through the same misery.

3 comments:

  1. I like your text evidence, it really supports your ideas clearly. Your dash construction is great too. Maybe next time you could have a little less summary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very nicely writen, clearly back up by text evidence. Good use of the dash dash constuction. Next time you could try to put more opinion and application in to your response. Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really good liv. I liked that you said Mrs. Wright was going insane. I didn't really see that as I was reading the story and now I am getting more ideas about the symbolism and what it meant. I also thought it was good that you said Mrs. Hale and Mrs. Peter had sympathy for Mrs. Wright because I think you are totally right on that. The only thing I would change is maybe splitting your responce into different paraphraphs for each of you topics. Otherwise this is very nice.

    ReplyDelete